Opportunity for Full Time College Students
Dates: June 1st through August 6th (tentative)
Position Title: Emerging Risk Manager Trainee (This is a paid Internship)
Qualifications: For full time students entering your Junior, or, Senior year of college in the Fall of 2021 and pursuing a BA/BS in Business, Finance, Risk Management, Accounting, Marketing, Management, Communications, or, related fields of study.
Internship Office Location: 2331 Congress Street, Portland, Maine
Position Summary: The Emerging Risk Manager Trainee will be exposed to each of the product departments of an independent insurance agency operation including: Personal Insurance, Commercial Insurance, Employee Benefits, Surety Bonding and Administrative Operations. Trainee will be assigned various independent and teamwork assignments/projects/research in each department intended to further develop your knowledge of both the types of coverage we provide clients and the customer service aspects of our business. Each Trainee will also be responsible for completing regular reading assignments in preparation for discussion and associated assignments. Trainee must be able to complete assignments utilizing strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and quality work.
Representative Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct research on evolving insurance coverage/industry topics as requested including presentation of material to other Cross staff /trainees.
- Special projects focused on risk identification, risk analysis and implementation.
- Special projects in support of the Operations/HR/Product Departments within the Agency including the potential development of action plans and/or training videos.
- Completion of the required insurance coverage reading assignments throughout the internship focused on: general risk management topics, personal and commercial insurance coverages, surety bonding and employee benefits.
- Active preparation and participation in Insurance company visits, client tours, trade association events and weekly agency job shadow assignments (if we are able to offer in 2021 – some will likely be virtual visits).
- Work tasks as assigned by the various departments, including but not limited to review of client insurance files, insurance policies, quality management checklists, and, analysis of client historical/claims/financial data.
- All other tasks as assigned.
Customer Service – Able to effectively communicate with other interns/agency
staff/customers, handles issues/problems politely and efficiently, develops an understanding of company products and services, maintains pleasant and professional image.
Dependability – Meets commitments, works independently, accepts accountability, handles change, sets personal standards, stays focused under pressure, and follows attendance/punctuality requirements.
Integrity/Ethics – Deals with others in a straightforward and honest manner, is accountable for actions, maintains strict confidentiality of all client/office information, and supports company values.
Teamwork– Meets all team deadlines and responsibilities, listens to others and values opinions, able to take direction, welcomes newcomers and promotes a team atmosphere.
Interpersonal Skills – Exhibits solid listening skills, demonstrates a high proficiency in both verbal and written communications skills both within the organization and externally, builds strong relationships, is flexible/open-minded, negotiates effectively, solicits performance feedback and handles constructive criticism.
Personal Organization – Keeps information organized and accessible, maintains clean/functional workspace, works systematically/efficiently, and manages time well.
Quality – Is attentive to detail and accuracy in all assigned work.
Working Conditions: This is a paid 10-week training program. Trainee will work Monday through Friday from 8:00 to 4:30 – 40 hours each week. Trainee will be based in the Portland Branch office of Cross Insurance, however, you may visit other branch offices for training/job shadowing as assigned, so hours might vary due to travel. The availability of a vehicle for this travel will be essential. Professional office business attire will be required unless more casual attire is directed.
Disclaimer: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign, or reassign, duties and responsibilities during this internship at any time.
If interested in this Summer 2021 internship opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter by email to Michelle lbarguen, Director of Corporate Relations:
Resumes and accompanying cover letters will be accepted from
November 1, 2020 through January 25, 2021.