The IT Security Analyst performs two core functions for the enterprise. The first is the day-to-day operations of the in-place security solutions, this includes implementing and maintaining firewall access control lists, implementing, and maintaining Identity Access Management and auditing, and troubleshooting security related support tickets while the second is the implementation and maintenance of video surveillance systems, implementation and maintenance of Building Access Control systems, and resolution of security breaches detected by those systems. Secondary tasks may include involvement in the implementation of new security solutions, participation in the creation and or maintenance of policies, standards, baselines, guidelines, and procedures as well as conducting vulnerability audits and assessments. The IT Security Analyst is expected to be fully aware of the enterprise’s security goals as established by its stated policies, procedures, and guidelines and to actively work towards upholding those goals.
Strategy & Planning
- Participate in the creation of enterprise security documents (policies, standards, baselines, guidelines, and procedures) under the direction of the IT Security Manager, where appropriate.
- Participate in the planning and design of an enterprise business continuity plan and disaster recovery plan, under the direction of the IT Security Manager, where appropriate.
- Assess need for any security reconfigurations (minor or significant) and execute them if required by the direction of the IT Security Manager, where appropriate.
- Keep current with emerging security alerts and issues.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Maintain up-to-date detailed knowledge of the IT security industry including awareness of new or revised security solutions, improved security processes, and the development of new attacks and threat vectors.
- Recommend additional security solutions or enhancements to existing security solutions to improve overall enterprise security.
- Perform the deployment, integration, and initial configuration of new security solutions and of any enhancements to existing security solutions in accordance with standard best operating procedures generically and the enterprise’s security documents specifically.
- Maintain operational configurations of all in-place security solutions as per the established baselines.
- Monitor all in-place security solutions for efficient and appropriate operations.
- Review logs and reports of all in-place devices, whether they be under direct control (i.e. security tools) or not (e.g. workstations, servers, network devices). Interpret the implications of that activity and devise plans for appropriate resolution.
- Participate in investigations into problematic activity.
- Participate in the design and execution of vulnerability assessments, penetration tests, and security audits
- Provide on-call support for end users for all in-place security solutions.
- Administer and maintain end user accounts, permissions, and access rights.
- Download and test new security software and/or technologies.
Formal Education & Certification
- College diploma or university degree in Computer Science and/or two years equivalent work experience.
- One or more of the following certifications:
- CompTIA Security+
- GIAC Information Security Fundamentals
- Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator: Security
- Associate of (ISC)2
Knowledge & Experience
- Broad hands-on knowledge of firewalls, intrusion detection systems, anti-virus software, data encryption, security incident and event monitoring (SIEM) solutions, Multifactor Authentication (MFA), and other industry-standard techniques and practices.
- Working technical knowledge of network, PC, Mobile Devices, and platform operating systems.
- Working technical knowledge of Microsoft/Azure Active Directory, Group Policy, and M365/O365 services.
- Strong understanding of IP, TCP/IP, and other network administration protocols.
- Knowledge of applicable practices and laws relating to data privacy and protection.
- Familiarity with analysis of system and event logs from devices and systems such as firewalls, intrusion detection systems, anti-virus software, data encryption, security incident and event monitoring (SIEM) solutions, Multifactor Authentication (MFA), Microsoft Active Directory, Group Policy, and Microsoft O365/Azure Security, Compliance, Privacy dashboards.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Good written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to conduct research into IT security issues and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Team-oriented and skilled in working within a collaborative environment.
- 40-hour on-site work week with on-call availability.
- Some travel required.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Sufficient dexterity of hands and fingers to efficiently operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other computer components.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.