Insurance for Real Estate Agents

Selling and appraising properties is no easy task. As a real estate agent, broker, or appraiser you are trying to help individuals and families find the right property and homes to meet their needs. While the job of finding the right property for your client may be rewarding, there is always the risk of a claim and being held liable for something unforeseen. The idea of finding coverage and comparing quotes on your own can seem like a daunting task. The team at Cross Insurance is here to help – we can provide you with options for quality insurance products at competitive prices.

Below is some general information that you may want to consider when evaluating your insurance needs.

house on real estate market marked sold

What Coverages do Real Estate Agents Need?

Just like a home buyer looking for a home and deciding what home is right for them, real estate agents have many factors that they must take into consideration when deciding what insurance coverages they may need. There are a few basic coverages every business should consider, but it can be helpful to speak with a licensed insurance producer to discuss your options. Some types of insurance you may want to consider include, but are not limited to, the following.

Professional Liability for Real Estate Agents

Also known as Errors and Omissions (E&O Insurance), Professional Liability can help protect you if a client believes a mistake you made caused them financial loss and decides to sue you. Some examples of situations that could expose your business to professional liabilities include negligent acts or omissions while showing a home, harm to a client resulting from a missed deadline, and inaccurate advice resulting in property damage or other loss to a client.

General Liability

General liability insurance can help to provide you with a wide variety of protection for certain third-party liability claims related to your business operations. This could include, for example, a customer or employee who is injured as a result of a slip and fall accident at your workplace, or potentially a situation in which you or one of your employees accidentally caused physical damage to a customer’s property during the course of your work. General liability can also include coverage for certain types of personal and advertising injuries, such as claims for defamation or copyright infringement.

Commercial Property for Real Estate Agents

Commercial property insurance is a fundamental coverage that every business should consider. Commercial property insurance can help protect your practice against certain types of physical damage to your building and the contents within. Whether you own the building or lease the space, commercial property insurance is highly recommended. The following are some of the assets commercial property can help insure:

  • Your building
  • Your furniture, such as tables and chairs
  • The equipment that your business runs on, like computers, printers, etc.
  • Outdoor signage, banners, and other materials
  • Certain landscaping components

Cyber Liability for Real Estate Agents

Cyber liability insurance helps to provide you with protection from data recovery costs, reputational damage, and income loss if your clients’ data and records are exposed. Businesses today are becoming increasingly reliant on technology, and a data breach can do more than just damage your computer system- it can also result in fines and legal fees.

Commercial Auto

If you operate vehicles in connection with your real estate agency, then commercial auto coverage is important. Cross works alongside a variety of carriers to provide coverage for many types of vehicles used for commercial purposes.

Workers’ Comp

Workers’ Compensation may be legally required if your business has employees. Workers’ comp can help cover medical bills for employees who are injured or become ill because of work related events. It can also help cover a portion of lost wages while they are unable to work due to their injury or illness.

Getting Insurance Quotes as a Real Estate Agent

When it comes to choosing insurance coverages as a real estate agent, it’s good to have choices and compare coverages. At Cross Insurance, we work with the nation’s leading carriers as well as regional insurers. Contact us to request a quote today.

Why Do Real Estate Agents Need Insurance?

As a professional working in the real estate industry, you know risks are prevalent. A real estate transaction isn’t as simple as many wish to believe, with many moving components there are plenty of risks. Although there is an abundance of risks, insurance may be able to help you mitigate them.. Some examples of these risks are:

  • Unknowingly Misleading Clients
  • Negligence or Omissions
  • Bodily Injury
  • Property Damage
  • Loss of Client Data

real estate agent filming home for selling

How Much is Insurance for a Real Estate Agent?

What a real estate agent might pay per year to cover their business or themselves depends on a variety of factors. Some of these include the number of employees your business may have and where your business is based out of. The types of insurance and the coverage limits you select will also influence your annual insurance costs. If your business has grown, you may want to think about increasing your coverage limits. Reach out to your local office to request a quote based on the needs of your business.

How Can I Save on Insurance as a Real Estate Agent?

The following are some ways you could help to reduce your insurance costs for real estate agents.

  • Know what coverages you need
  • Look into a Business Owner’s Policy (BOP), which is bundling a commercial property and general liability policies together
  • Evaluate your business’s licenses and your employees’ qualifications yearly
  • Research if raising your deductible would help save you on costs (however, bear in mind that you should not raise your deductible to a price that you would not be able to realistically afford in the event of a loss)
  • Ask about training that your employees could complete for lower rates

couple and real estate agent discussing home pricing

How do I File a Claim as a Real Estate Agent?

Experiencing a setback as a business can be a frustrating experience. We understand that filing a claim isn’t what you necessarily want to do. If you have experienced a loss or claim that you believe may be covered by one or more of your insurance policies, you should contact one of our claims representatives as soon as possible. A list of our office locations and phone numbers can be found here. Our claims representatives will assist you with the process of reporting the claim to your insurance carrier(s).


As a real estate agent, you spend a majority of your time helping others. You should be sure to review your own needs as well, which should include having the appropriate insurance coverages. Some common coverages include professional liability, general liabilitycommercial property, cyber liabilitycommercial propertycommercial auto, and workers’ compensation. You should connect with a local insurance agent to discuss unique features of your office to see if you should consider additional coverages.



This article is for general informational purposes only and is not to be relied upon or used for any particular purpose. Cross Insurance shall not be held responsible in any way for, and specifically disclaims any liability arising out of or in any way connected to, reliance on or use of any of the information contained in this article. The information contained or referenced in this article is not intended to constitute and should not be considered legal, insurance, accounting or other professional advice, nor shall it serve as a substitute for the recipient obtaining such advice. The views expressed in this article are that of its author and do not necessarily represent the views of Cross Financial Corp. and its subsidiaries and affiliates (“Cross Insurance”) or Cross Insurance’s management or shareholders.


Request A Quote Today

Related Resources